What does Open Doors Youth Service do?
Open Doors Youth Service provides support to young people with diverse genders, sex and sexualities. We support young people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, Pansexual, Sistergirl or Brotherboy (LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl & Brotherboy) aged 12-24 across South East Queensland.
We are based in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane but provide outreach in varying capacities. If you are located out of South East Queensland we can still try provide support to link you in with safe and inclusive services in your area.
We are Queensland’s leading LGBTIQAP+ youth homelessness service, working with young people who are at risk of/are disengaging with community and are at risk of/are experiencing homelessness. We aim to support you to stabilise your living situation and provide early intervention to support you to find safe living arrangements. This may include finding accommodation short/long term, supporting in providing mediation with parents, schools and other family members as well as advocacy and providing referrals and links to safe and supportive services.
Open Doors Youth Service provides many supports. To find out more, head to Our Programs page for a detailed overview.
Some of the supports Open Doors provides are:
- Case Management
- Individual support with one of our Youth Workers
- Goal setting
- Supporting young people to access services in the community
- Referring young people to services that can provide additional supports
- Helping with applications for housing, employment, education and much more
- Social Groups (check out our social group page for info)
- Early intervention housing assistance (unfortunately not crisis accommodation)
- Emergency food, toiletries and clothing (where stock allows)
- Alcohol and Other Drug Youth Workers and Supports
- Art group
- Access to Psychologists
- Fun & educational workshops such as cooking, music, job-readiness and more
- Fun and inclusive events throughout the year
- Sexual Health Clinic
- Advice, someone to chat to and a place where you are welcomed and celebrated
To connect with Open Doors, please complete our online referral form, and one of our youth workers will be in touch with you to make an appointment to meet and talk about your support needs