What does Open Doors Youth Service do?
Open Doors Youth Service provides support to young people with diverse genders, sex and sexualities. We support young people who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, Pansexual, Sistergirl or Brotherboy (LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl & Brotherboy) aged 12-24 across South East Queensland.
We are based in Fortitude Valley, Brisbane but provide outreach in varying capacities. If you are located out of South East Queensland we can still try provide support to link you in with safe and inclusive services in your area.
We are Queensland’s leading LGBTIQAP+ youth homelessness service, working with young people who are at risk of/are disengaging with community and are at risk of/are experiencing homelessness. We aim to support you to stabilise your living situation and provide early intervention to support you to find safe living arrangements. This may include finding accommodation short/long term, supporting in providing mediation with parents, schools and other family members as well as advocacy and providing referrals and links to safe and supportive services.
Open Doors Youth Service provides many supports. To find out more, head to Our Programs page for a detailed overview.
Some of the supports Open Doors provides are:
- Case Management
- Individual support with one of our Youth Workers
- Goal setting
- Supporting young people to access services in the community
- Referring young people to services that can provide additional supports
- Helping with applications for housing, employment, education and much more
- Social Groups (check out our social group page for info)
- Early intervention housing assistance (unfortunately not crisis accommodation)
- Emergency food, toiletries and clothing (where stock allows)
- Alcohol and Other Drug Youth Workers and Supports
- Art group
- Access to Psychologists
- Fun & educational workshops such as cooking, music, job-readiness and more
- Fun and inclusive events throughout the year
- Sexual Health Clinic
- Advice, someone to chat to and a place where you are welcomed and celebrated
Our Vision, Mission Statement & Values
Our Vision is that all young people of Diverse genders, bodies, sex, sexualities and relationships will be connected to culturally and developmentally appropriate services.
Open Doors Youth Service is Queensland’s leading youth homelessness and support service enriching the lives of young people with diverse genders, sex, sexualities, and bodies. We support high risk and at-risk young people in developmentally and culturally appropriate ways to provide individual, group-based, and family support to enhance connections to family, culture, and community.
ODYS believe people have a voice, the right to connection to community and to be treated fairly. All people have the right to be provided opportunities and encouragement to actively collaborate and participate in life.
ODYS believe all people are to be provided a safe and supportive environment free from discrimination, a place where people can be themselves.
ODYS believe genders, bodies and sexualities are diverse. You have the right to explore and express yourself in a non-judgmental, safe environment; a place where “You can be you”.
ODYS value and celebrate diversity and equality, empowering young people to be the best version of themselves.
ODYS is empowered to educate our community and the society we exist in, by setting an example, by being community leaders, and by sharing our knowledge and experience.