What do our Groups look like?
Open Doors Youth Service offers many different social groups for young people at our headquarters in Fortitude Valley, Queensland as well as across South East Queensland in various regions.
Our Group Schedule is uploaded each month (see below) for our groups and events happening as well as a detailed schedule of what we will be doing during PRIDE Art Therapy. Groups at Open Doors Youth Service are a relaxed and casual space where you can participate in many things across the different groups. During groups you can access:
- Information and resources about coming out, identity, sexual health, healthy relationships and much more
- The opportunity to participate in many workshops during the groups
- Learn new life skills
- Information about LGBTIQAP+ community events
- Our clothing, food and toiletries donations
- Meet new people and make friends
- Someone to talk to who understands sexuality, sex and gender identity
- A community where you can build a support network
- Guest Speakers and Panels
- Outings in the community including but definitely not limited to – movies, mini golf, laser tag, bowling, art galleries, arcades and local events
- Giveaways, prizes, competitions and much more!
Regular Groups at Open Doors Youth Service
- Haus of Pride – Wednesday afternoons each week from 3 – 5:30pm at Open Doors for 12-24 years old in the rainbow community.
- Young and Proud – 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at Open Doors or in the Community for 18-24 years old in the rainbow community from 1-4pm.
- Jellybeans – 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month at Open Doors or in the community for 12-24 years old who identify as transgender, gender diverse, gender queer, gender non-conforming or gender questioning from 11am-2pm.
- Art Group – 2nd and 4th Friday of the month at Open Doors for 12-24 years old in the rainbow community from 11am-1pm.
- Workshops include but not limited to Music Workshops, Cooking Workshops, Job-Ready Workshops – check out this month’s Group Schedule to see what we’re offering this month!
- Open Doors collaborates with other LGBTIQAP+ groups in Youth Spaces around South East Queensland – check out our Group Schedule and flyers below! These areas include Taringa, Ipswich, Caboolture and Chermside.
Please note – to attend groups at Open Doors Youth Service, an intake is required initially. Please call our service to arrange this with one of our Youth Workers. If you are planning on attending groups in the regions – please check out the poster for information on how to attend and what age the group is for. Please be aware, groups may be cancelled in circumstances out of our control such as staff away unwell. We endeavor to try notify people of these cancellations via the Open Doors Youth Service Facebook Page with plenty of notice where possible.
Click the links below for Group Flyers and Timetables
Please note: Groups will recommence in late January/Early February 2020. The January schedule will be uploaded in the New Year.
The SAGA Group for LGBTIQ+ young people – headspace Redcliffe, Redcliffe Youth Space and Open Doors collaboration
Open Doors Group Flyers
We are in the process of designing new posters for some of our groups, please check back in soon.
In the mean time, you can find out information about each group via the Group Schedule at the top of this page!