LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy AFFIRMING Organisations
Open Doors Youth Service (ODYS) is a specialist service supporting LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy young people across south-east Queensland. Alongside, young people and specialists across education and health, Open Doors Youth Service has developed a series of professional development options.
LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy people and communities have several distinct, sometimes overlapping, demographics each with their own histories, experiences, social, education and health needs.
Open Doors Youth Service has developed training to support organisations and individual practitioners provide affirming and culturally safer services for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Intersex, Queer, Asexual, Pansexual, Sistergirl and Brotherboy (LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl & Brotherboy) young people, communities, and their families (chosen, or otherwise).
To enhance the capacity of organisations and staff working to develop and maintain organisational cultures and individual practices that are safe, supportive, inclusive and affirming for all young people, including those who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, intersex, queer, asexual, pansexual, sistergirl and brotherboy.
- Broadly understand LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy key terminology
- Understand concepts associated with LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy identities and cultures
- Summarise how homophobic and transphobic behaviour impacts on social and emotional well-being
- LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl & Brotherboy youth friendliness and inclusive organisations: creating safer, supportive and affirming environments
- Facilitators and Barriers for LGBTIQAP+ Sistergirl and Brotherboy youth engagement
- Transforming knowledge into practice – reflective practice and case scenarios
Please note – It is recommended to allow a minimum of 2 to 3 hours delivery time. All training will be tailored to the organisational context and need. Topics outside of those listed can be requested.
To make a training enquiry, please complete the form below.